Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Garden Try #2

Well I really like gardening for some reason. I think it was because I was never aloud to have a garden growing up. My dad thought it would ruin his yard. He used to be really picky about his yard. I believe this is how my love of gardening truly began because I was denied as a child. Well, off to college I went and I befriended a girl named Randee. The summer of our freshman/sophomore year her family so graciously took me in while we were waiting to begin work at the Reid Ranch. I guess I had to earn my keep, so one day we ended up in her family's huge garden. I was in heaven. We had to weed, plant, play in the mud, shell peas, all the "normal" garden stuff I was deprived of in my childhood. So now that we have a yard Al let me put in a garden. It is a small box garden, but a garden none the less. I love it. Last year it did pretty well. My only problem is once is produces food I don't want to eat it because I feel like I am ruining my garden in some way. So a lot of food went to waste last year. This year though I am really going to use it. I planted things we would actually eat. We cleaned out the garden's soil from last year and found it to be home to a ton of worms. Question: Can one have too many worms in a garden? I wouldn't let Al throw any out, but now I am wondering if too many will ruin my garden. So all you gardeners out there let me know. We also came across 3 cocoon type things. They were about 2 inches long, red, and mostly disgusting, so if you know what this is: let me know. I threw them away because they were just too ugly to have in the garden. So hopefully it is not some super garden bug. But, here are a few pictures of my garden. The cabbage plant is leftover from last year. It took a long time to mature.

2 comments:

Randee Mayes said...

Love it!!!! Do you do Square Foot Gardening?? The way your garden was sectioned off reminded me of that. I just went to a class on Saturday about it and am now redoing my whole garden that way. I'm stoked!!!

Missy said...

Yeah it's square foot. It came from the great state of Utah. I like it because it's just the right size.